Saturday, March 26, 2011

Guadalajara, Jalisco.

(Mural in the Palacio de Gobierno, Guadalajara)

Guadalajara: Mexico's second largest city and my first point of call. My strategy, in coming here first, was to ease myself in; I have been surrounded, for the last week-and-a-half by a band of Australian women who live here, none of whom I had met before arrival, but had various connections with just one

- (Just a small fun fact for the day: The names of my three best friends at home are Grace, Lauren and Zana. Here, in Guadalajara, I am staying with.. a Grace, a Lauren and a Xana. I love life's little coincidences. Even its big ones.) -

This first week was one of being whisked around to all the places worth seeing, drinking, eating and dancing at. And we danced. Oh, we danced. And drank.

I fear I may become addicted to salsa very quickly. I think I was meant. to salsa.
Mexican alcohol on the other hand, namely pulque, some sort of fermented (very fermented) fruit drink, is an acquired taste..

One of my favourite things to do is to wander the food markets, the likes of which we just don't have at home, to by my groceries or sit on a stool to eat whatever is being offered, and there is so much on offer... Mexico is culinary madness, and its only just begun.

I also always gravitate towards the bookshops in any city, regardless of whether or not the books are in my language. I just love the smell of old paper and ink, and the feeling that each book is rattling quietly, with ideas that want desperately to be realised and stories that need to be told. Every time I set foot in a bookshop, I feel like I'm surrounded by old friends.

I've left the tribe (for the time being) to make my own way and force myself into speaking what little Spanish I have. Slowly now, to Oaxaca.


 ...


Oh man. Its difficult sometimes to be restrained and considered in my writing when I just want to jump up and down like a bouncy ball and say "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck this life is just so stupidly exciting and amazing and wonderful and WHEN DO I GET TO THROW THE STREAMERS??!! And smash the piƱata of life??!!" But I'll continue with the restraint.

In saying this, while I've done a write up on this first stop, I've decided I'm not going to try to recount the goings-on in each place I go, unless I feel a particular need to do so (y'know, like to analyse the bejesus out of something or other). Because it will become tedious, for you and for me. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment